automatic rtbh trigger using flow data

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Thu Aug 30 23:30:18 UTC 2018

Michel Py wrote:
>> Aaron Gould wrote :
>> Hi, does anyone know how to use flow data to trigger a rtbh (remotely triggered blackhole) route using bgp ?  ...I'm thinking we could use
>> quagga or a script of some sort to interact with a router to advertise to bgp the /32 host route of the victim under attack.
> Look at Exabgp : https://github.com/Exa-Networks/exabgp
> That's what I use in here : https://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/cbbc/ to inject the prefixes in BGP.
> I block the attacker's addresses, not the victim but if you are willing to write your own scripts it does the job.
>
> Michel.

I use a bunch of scripts plus a supervisory sqlite3 database process all
injecting into quagga

Also aimed at attacker sources. I feed it with honeypots and live
servers, hooked into fail2ban and using independent host scripts.

Not very sophisticated, the remotes use ssh executed commands to
add/delete. I also setup a promiscuous ebgp RR so I can extend my
umbrella to CPE with diverse connectivity.

Using flow data, that sounds like an interesting direction to take this
into, so thank you!

Joe