optical circulator as a bidirectional one fiber solution

Jérôme Nicolle jerome at ceriz.fr
Wed Aug 22 10:32:57 UTC 2018

Hi Baldur,

Le 07/08/2018 à 21:46, Baldur Norddahl a écrit :
> Would it be possible to use an optical circulator like this one
> (customized to 1310 nm)?
>
> Has anyone done this? Any reason it would not work?

While it often does work, reflectance is a bitch.

I'd advise you to order some attenuators to plug on RX ports in case the
ghost signal is too high.

Of course, you should use APC connectors all along the optical path.

Also bear in mind that circulators have a narrow spectrum range (likely
1280-1340 in your case, good for 100G-LR4/ER4, but not for 100G-CWDM4)
and are rarely polarization neutral, meaning a DP-QPSK coherent optic
cannot be used.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle