What NMS do you use and why?

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:13:04 UTC 2018

> On Aug 17, 2018, at 8:00 AM, nanog-request at nanog.org wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:31:13 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Joe Loiacono <jloiacon at gmail.com <mailto:jloiacon at gmail.com>>
> To: William Herrin <bill at herrin.us <mailto:bill at herrin.us>>
> Cc: NANOG <nanog at nanog.org <mailto:nanog at nanog.org>>, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com <mailto:colton.conor at gmail.com>>
> Subject: Re: What NMS do you use and why?
>
> Consider also open-source FlowViewer for netflow capture and analysis. A lot of very useful netflow based analytical tools in an easy UI. Sits on top of a robust set of Carnegie-Mellon's high-capacity SiLK netflow tools.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/flowviewer/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/flowviewer/>
>
> Joe

About a year ago, I was horsing around with Netflow tools. I built a Docker image to make it easy to install FlowViewer. I also factored the FlowViewer source files to make it easier to install in a Docker instance. I have no opinion whether Docker would be a good solution for a high performance Netflow collector. However, this Dockerfile makes it easy (~15 minutes) to get started with testing.

Grab the files from my github repo's:

https://github.com/richb-hanover/FlowViewer
https://github.com/richb-hanover/docker-silk-flowviewer

I also made a couple other Docker instances of Netflow tools. They're mentioned in my blog: http://richb-hanover.com/netflow-collectors-for-home-networks/