What NMS do you use and why?

Kushal kushal.r at h4g.co
Thu Aug 16 16:49:35 UTC 2018

Being a small business we like to use a mostly free and open source tools. Our networking monitoring stack presently looks like:

Simple Reachability Monitoring  (Ping) - uptimerobot.com

Just $4.5 per month for 50 monitors with 1 minute intervals (free if you are find with 5 minutes monitoring intervals). This is connected to our slack channel and also sends SMS when something goes offline.

Traffic & Device Monitoring - LibreNMS

A fork of Observium but adds the much needed alerting feature that observing only offers with it's paid plans. We use it to monitor switch port traffic, BGP sessions, device health, etc.

Packet Inspection or Flow Monitoring we use FastNetMon (https://fastnetmon.com/features/) the free edition is good for our needs.