tcp md5 bgp attacks?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Aug 14 23:28:13 UTC 2018

On 08/14/2018 03:38 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> so we started to wonder if, since we started protecting our bgp
> sessions with md5 (in the 1990s), are there still folk trying to
> attack?

n00b response here

I thought using ACLs or otherwise protecting the BGP endpoint was best
practice.  Thus it's really hard to even try break an MD5 protected BGP
session if you can't even establish the TCP connection.

Everything that I've seen or set up had an ACL to only allow the peer(s)
to be able to connect to (from memory) TCP port 179.

Is there something that I've missed the boat on?

#learningOpportunity

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die