Multicast traffic % in enterprise network ?

Curtis, Bruce bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Thu Aug 9 18:41:02 UTC 2018

Multicast was also required for earlier versions of VXLAN.  But later versions or VXLAN only require unicast.

For the far future it seems like Named Data Neworking, Content Centric Networking, Information Centric Networking, Data Centric Networking etc all list multicast as a requirement or fundamental part of their architecture.

> On Aug 8, 2018, at 4:15 PM, Greg Shepherd <gjshep at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Financial exchanges around the world use multicast.
>
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Stan Barber <sob at academ.com> wrote:
>
>> As someone else remarked, part of this will depend on the type of network
>> you are profiling. One enterprise networking may have critical internal
>> applications that depend on multicast to work and others may have nothing
>> but the basic requirements of the network itself (e.g. IPv6 uses multicast
>> instead of broadcast for some network control information distribution).
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Mankamana Mishra (mankamis) via NANOG <
>> nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Every one,
>>> Recently we had good discussion over multicast uses in public internet.
>>> From discussion, it was pointed out uses of multicast is more with in
>>> enterprise.  Wanted to understand how much % multicast traffic present in
>>> network
>>>
>>>  *   If there is any data which can provide what % of traffic is
>>> multicast traffic. And if multicast is removed, how much unicast traffic
>> it
>>> would add up?
>>>  *   Since this forum has people from deployment area, I would love to
>>> know if there is real deployment problems or its pain to deploy
>> multicast.
>>>

>>> These questions is to work / discussion in IETF to see what is pain
>> points
>>> for multicast, and how can we simplify it.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Mankamana

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University