Multicast traffic % in enterprise network ?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Aug 9 12:57:47 UTC 2018

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 at 15:27, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

> A recent customer uses multicast to have the same packet arrive at
> multiple destinations at the same time for resilience (their own
> internal systems, not IPTV or media etc). Having just refreshed their
> network for the next 5-10 years it's not going away anytime soon.

I believe the same time delivery is motivation for stock exchanges
too. One of the larger exchanges used MX and multicast, which of
course does btree or utree (in this  case utree) replication, which
makes delivery times are very much variant.
So it is very much implementation detail what type of delivery time
differences to expect in different ports and it is not by design
superior to unicast.

--
  ++ytti