Multicast traffic % in enterprise network ?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:24:17 UTC 2018

On 8 August 2018 at 19:49, Mankamana Mishra (mankamis) via NANOG
<nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> Hi Every one,
> Recently we had good discussion over multicast uses in public internet. From discussion, it was pointed out uses of multicast is more with in enterprise.  Wanted to understand how much % multicast traffic present in network
>
>   *   If there is any data which can provide what % of traffic is multicast traffic. And if multicast is removed, how much unicast traffic it would add up?
>   *   Since this forum has people from deployment area, I would love to know if there is real deployment problems or its pain to deploy multicast.
>

> These questions is to work / discussion in IETF to see what is pain points for multicast, and how can we simplify it.

A recent customer uses multicast to have the same packet arrive at
multiple destinations at the same time for resilience (their own
internal systems, not IPTV or media etc). Having just refreshed their
network for the next 5-10 years it's not going away anytime soon.

Cheers,
James.