Multicast traffic % in enterprise network ?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 8 21:27:51 UTC 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 23:53, Stan Barber <sob at academ.com> wrote:

> but the basic requirements of the network itself (e.g. IPv6 uses multicast
> instead of broadcast for some network control information distribution).

This is almost never true, it's rare exception rather than common case.

The idea was that in IPv4 networks ARP broadcast waste bandwidth and
host CPU. To fix this problem, each host (sufficiently small group of
IPv6 addresses unlikely to collide) subscribes to its own multicast
group. So we don't need to flood the ND traffic to hosts not needing
it.
But it turned out supporting ~infinitely many multicast states is
harder problem than pushing frames in hardware to all ports. So all
practical networks run IPv6 ND same as ARP.

Another 'we fixed a problem in IPv6', which turned out to be worse
than the original problem and was quietly ignored in practical
networks.

--
  ++ytti