Multicast traffic % in enterprise network ?

Curtis, Bruce bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Wed Aug 8 20:38:30 UTC 2018

On Aug 8, 2018, at 3:29 PM, nanog at jack.fr.eu.org<mailto:nanog at jack.fr.eu.org> wrote:

I believe multicast is only used for IPTV

  There is at least one company that is using multicast for video switching, or in other words to replace HDMI switchers in rooms with video sources and displays.

  They have devices that encode video from an HDMI input to a multicast stream.
And devices that receive a multicast stream and output the video from that stream to an HDMI output.

So you can have multiple cameras and a multicast stream for each camera is input into the network.
Then you can have a projector that can choose any of those multicast streams to display.

I believe the video is uncompressed

Multicast by itself does not reduce much bandwidth : that reduction is
purely based on the network design
If you place unicast nodes near your customers, multicast is effectively
unicast (just think about it) :)