Best practices on logical separation of abuse@ vs dmca@ role inboxes

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Mon Aug 6 14:51:17 UTC 2018

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:

> This is a solvable problem.  If they're sending unsolicited bulk email
> (aka "spam"), then they are, by definition, spammers.  Block them and
> move on.  If/when they decide to send proper DMCA notices and send them
> to the proper address, perhaps you can then allow them to petition for
> the privilege of access to your mail system.
>
> ---rsk

But then the question becomes "how are they supposed to find the 'proper
address' for their reports?"  If you run a whois server and link it from
your RIRs or create a custom "DMCA Compliance" POC in the RIR listings then
you could maybe list that sort of thing there, but most address maintainers
do neither, so by default whatever address is listed on those net block
records with the RIR seems appropriate enough to me.  There's no other
established protocol for determining an appropriate contact (like calling
the associated phone number and asking, or trying to determine your web url
and browing that site for it, or something else much more involved.)  If
there should be a different protocol established for that, then we need to
figure it out and document that and get a critical mass of reporters to buy
in to it.