Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Wed Aug 1 17:43:03 UTC 2018

hey,

> What if... Bear with me for a moment here, we don't try to force VoD onto a
> multicast setup? Multicast is used extensively by all major ISPs(if they
> have the rights) to deliver IPTV.

We are an IPTV provider in europe and we definetly see share of linear
TV (that we are delivering via intra-AS multicast today) decreasing YOY.

OTT plays a big part but even more customers use our own on-demand
services including network PVR.

Numbers don't add up yet but in 3-4 years even the intra-AS multicast
will not make sense for us any more, easier/better to deliver everything
via unicast.

--
tarko