Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

Michael Crapse michael at wi-fiber.io
Wed Aug 1 17:27:24 UTC 2018

What if... Bear with me for a moment here, we don't try to force VoD onto a
multicast setup? Multicast is used extensively by all major ISPs(if they
have the rights) to deliver IPTV. One issue you brought up is people
unwillin to wait 1 or 5 mins for a show, well before the days of youtube
people waited weeks for OTA programming that started with or without delay,
depending on how many relays you were going through. As a use case of
multicast over the internet, a Real time TV rebroadcaster would be a really
good use case. The federal govt already subsidises super expensive energy
hogging TV broadcast towers, who's to say they wouldn't prefer it to just
go over the interwebs? Bit rate's not a problem, a 720i stream takes 1 or 2
mbps, which is a fraction of a home broadband connection(25mbps down 3 up,
last time i checked). I think we all on nanog would agree internet is more
important than TV. Govt money might better be spent on a better internet
than TV radios. Of course that might mean some internet backbone
upgrades(maybe even govt subsidised upgrade), but i would never say that
there isn't a commercial use case for it.