California fires: smart speakers and emergency alerts

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 17:11:44 UTC 2018

At a recent meeting on space policy a representative from Hughes/Echostar
told us that, as they provide satellite connectivity to gas stations in the
fire regions, they have
been working with emergency services to give fire fighters directions to
where they can go to get gas for their trucks, based on their knowledge of
which stations are up and have not been sold out.

Putting alerts (whether by landline or satellite) on screens at the pumps
or in convenience stores does not seem like much of a stretch, but I can't
see any indication that this is being done.

Regards
Marshall