Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Aug 1 16:25:16 UTC 2018

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018, Aaron Gould wrote:
> As you all have said, to confirm, I use ssm Mcast to distribute TV from
> satellite down links in the headend, out to a few different remote head
> ends.  From there it's converted back to RF video and sent to
> subscribers via cable or hfc plant

I'm aware that multicast is used extensively for "closed enterprise"
networks in the financial and media industries.  It seems to work well
when a single organization is paying for the entire network.

My executive official came from that background, so I get why someone
from that world would think multicast is widely used. Asking enterprise
network sales people, they keep saying Yes, of course we support
multicast.

That's why I wanted to hear from public Internet engineers if multicast
was still viable on the *public Internet*.