Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

Justin M. Streiner streinerj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:07:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018, John Kristoff wrote:

> Second best might be the Internet2 community where a number of
> institutions that have always had it might still have it turned on.
> Though there has been only one post in all of 2018 on their list if
> that tells you anything.

At my previous job (large .edu), we spoke MSDP with Internet2 through our
regional I2 connector, however we turned that MSDP session off probably
two years ago, and I don't think that session moved any useful traffic for
probably two years before that.  Multicast was used extensively within our
network, but nothing outside for quite a while.

I agree with general sentiment that multicast across the larger Internet
is dead.

Thank you
jms