Is WHOIS going to go away?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Apr 24 16:50:23 UTC 2018

On April 20, 2018 at 05:06 i.grok at comcast.net (Scott Schmit) wrote:
 > On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:44:10PM -0400, bzs at theworld.com wrote:
 > > So the net result maybe isn't all that terrible unless you have a good
 > > reason to hide your information even from your registrar (and ICANN),
 > > checking a privacy option won't accomplish that, they still have your
 > > info they're just not revealing it via WHOIS.
 >
 > Bear in mind that not all TLDs allow enabling privacy (e.g., .us).

I'm aware of this with .US, is there another example? That's the only
one I've ever seen mentioned but there are an Avogadro number of TLDs.

Hold on, I found a list...da goog turned up da goog...

  https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3251242?hl=en

  .CO.IN, .CO.NZ, .CO.UK, .FR, .IN, .JP, and .US

So all are cctlds (country code TLDs), and the first three are for
companies (or commercial) which may be what's driving that policy. In
many countries if one acts as a commercial entity they must provide
public contact information.

ICANN (in the metonymous sense) no doubt is aware of this, I wonder if
it conflicts with any proposals for this new WHOIS?

That page also has a pretty good FAQ on private registration in
general.

--
        -Barry Shein