Is WHOIS going to go away?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sat Apr 21 21:54:51 UTC 2018

> On Apr 21, 2018, at 2:47 PM, Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, a I doubt that there are any "real" people with vanity domains behind this move.  I suspect that it is the scammers and spammers who want to hide their information for very good reason.
>
> And of course, the "powers of the EU" seem to be in cahoots with those scammers and spammers (if they are not the scammers and spammers who themselves are wanting to hide).

I also think more fine-grained control of the data would satisfy many needs.

E.g., for my own domains, for the purposes of contacting me to deal with abuse (or insanely large but unlikely buyout offers), all you need is an email contact address.  I can put my personal or company name out there, along with a working email address, and still not hand over my home address, phone numbers, etc.

For domains backing consumer-facing companies, they would likely want to expose more information.  There is no one-size-fits-all here.  And that's where the EU is losing credibility.

--lyndon