Is WHOIS going to go away?

Brian Kantor Brian at ampr.org
Fri Apr 20 21:10:12 UTC 2018

Steve,

I think you should re-examine the early history of the USA.  Anonymous
pamphleteering was the origin of our rebellion against England,
with Benjamin Franklin and many of the other founding fathers
publishing without their identities being registered anywhere.  The
Federalist Papers which form the basis for our system of government
were published anonymously.  It's a fundamental part of our liberties.

No COMMERCIAL publisher will do that himself, but any individual
who wants to may do so.  "Freedom of the Press is guaranteed only
to those who own one", and with the Internet, for the first time
in many years, it is again practical to publish anonymously.

It is the entrenched powers who want to require strict identification
of all sources.

I refer you to the Electronic Frontier Foundation website, and to
the Internet law blog, and the Reporters Committee for freedom of
the press, and any good American History book for further information.
	- Brian