Is WHOIS going to go away?

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Fri Apr 20 19:53:55 UTC 2018

>> "I don't see why there should not be a way to know who is
>> publishing data on the Internet.  In almost all other forms
>> of communication, there is some accountability for the
>> origination of information."

>...in every other form of communication, the phrase "get a warrant"
>comes to mind.

>Except on the internet where we require the information to be public
>so that anyone and their dog can view it without a warrant.

This last statement is entirely untrue.  WHOIS provides information as to the PUBLISHER (such as one would find on the masthead of a newspaper).  This is, ought to be, and should remain, public information.

You still need to "get a warrant" (or a rubber hose) as you so quaintly put it to ascertain the origination of the information published.

---