Attacks on BGP Routing Ranges

Ryan Hamel Ryan.Hamel at quadranet.com
Wed Apr 18 11:03:57 UTC 2018

Saku,

The attacks are definitely inbound on the border router interface. I have tracked outbound attacks before and wish it was this simple, but its not.

> a) edge filter, on all edge interfaces ensure that only udp traceroute, icmp are sent (policed) to infrastructure addresses

While I can implement an edge filter to drop such traffic, it's impacting our clients traffic as well.

> b) do not advertise link networks in iBGP

This has never been an issue.

> c) do run BGP with GTSM, so you can drop BGP packets with lower TTL than 255

 Could you explain how this can resolve my issue? I am not sure how this would work.

Thanks for your input!

Ryan Hamel
I'm assuming edge link in your network facing another administrative domain.

You'll have two scenarios

1) attack coming from your side
2) attack coming from far side

You can easily stop 1, obviously.
But for 2, you really need to have far-side who is cooperative and
understanding of best practices and there isn't any magic you alone
can do with entirely uncooperative far-end.

Things to consider at both ends:

--
  ++ytti