Manageengine Netflowanalyzer

Michael Krygeris me at krygerism.com
Mon Apr 9 00:34:52 UTC 2018

You may be getting this confused with a different netflow lite. Cisco
introduced 2 completely different "netflow lite" features over the last few
years. It is very confusing. One is essentially a packet sample(like IPFIX
PSAMP) and the other is just sampled netflow on a switch.

The bad news is that the 4948E is the PSAMP style implementation, so you
need to have an intermediary collector to maintain the flow cache
off-switch(a bit like sflow). This makes for much more work for the
collector. Most vendors just ignored it. There is only one
collector/translator that I know of that will do this for you. NProbe. So
you can grab an nprobe license and have it act as a translator between the
4948E and manage engine. I'm not trashing nprobe either. It's a great piece
of software. I'm just saying that it's an unfortunate step that you have to
take to get proper flow accounting out of the 4948E.
More info here:
https://www.ntop.org/products/netflow/nprobe/netflow-lite-plugin/

As an aside, the other netflow lite applies to edge switches like the
2960-X. This works well on standard NetFlow collectors. I was pretty
flumuxed when they chose to use this term for 2 completely different things.

Hopefully this is helpful.

-Mike Krygeris