Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 public DNS broken w/ Xerox Phaser MFP

Daniel Dent nanog-list at contactdaniel.net
Tue Apr 3 20:39:24 UTC 2018

On a Xerox Phaser 3635MFP printer running the latest firmware, when
attempting to configure it to use 1.1.1.1 for DNS, it throws the
following error: "The following Alternate DNS Server 1 addresses are not
permitted: 1.1.1.1 and 255.255.255.255".

I suspect this was intended to prevent people from putting in an
"invalid" placeholder, but the assumption that 1.1.1.1 would never be an
actual DNS server that somebody might actually wish to use appears to
have been unwise.

Daniel Dent

https://www.danieldent.com