Are any of you starting to get AI robocalls?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Apr 3 23:26:36 UTC 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Ken Chase wrote:

> All this boils my blood. I am not sure why/how spoofing ph#s is legal. I get
> sms mass spam too.

Whether or not its legal is irrelevant.  It's trivial to do if your link
to the PSTN is digital and you have a provider not filtering based on sent
caller-id.  It's kind of the PSTN version of the Internet's BCP-38 issue.
All providers should be filtering based on "valid" caller-id...but so many
don't do it, and the spoofing is nearly impossible to trace back to the
origin, so those who do it can safely ignore other laws because they know
they won't be caught.