New DNS Service

Andy Ringsmuth andy at newslink.com
Tue Apr 3 14:12:47 UTC 2018

On Apr 3, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Rod Beck <rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com> wrote:

> And any consensus regarding the service? My layman question is how does this provide privacy? The routers still need to know the IP address of the far end point. I would assume that it would be easy to deduce the domain name from the IP address.
>
> - R.

A couple points, Rod:

1. I believe bottom posting is preferred here.

2. Well, yeah, it’s easy to go “backwards” with DNS/IP addresses. You can do it from any command line interface. That’s not the point here with Cloudflare’s DNS, or other publicly available DNS services. When you default to your ISP’s DNS servers, it’s easy for them to tie DNS requests to a particular customer (you) and monetize (share, sell, etc.) that information. What I believe Cloudflare is saying with their DNS service is “Hey, we won’t do that.”

-Andy