Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 public DNS broken w/ AT&T CPE

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Mon Apr 2 15:35:37 UTC 2018

On Mon Apr 02, 2018 at 11:17:47AM -0400, John Levine wrote:
> So it's routed deliberately but it sure looks like an experiment.
> There's way too much equipment that treats 1.1.1.1 as magic for it to
> work reliably.  Captive portals tend to use that address for the host
> you contact to log out.

Quite.

This looks like a willy-waving exercise by Cloudflare coming up with the lowest
quad-digit IP. They must have known that this would cause routing issues, and
now suddenly it's our responsibility to make significant changes to live
infrastructures just so they can continue to look clever with the IP address.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart |   * Server Co-location * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |  * Domain & Web Hosting * Connectivity * Consultancy *