Yet another Quadruple DNS?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 01:05:56 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:08 PM,  <nop at imap.cc> wrote:

> From what I can tell, this has not been "allocated" (probably closer to a LOA)?
> All contacts and maintainers on the inetnum object are still APNIC's, Cloudflare
> does not have free access to do whatever they want here.

Did you ask WHOIS?    Looks like the  /24  is    Portable-Assigned to
a joint project.
I don't know that APNIC is necessarily required to make a public consultation;.

If it was from an ARIN block; ARIN wouldn't have to "ask the public either"...
the  Number Resource Policy allows for /24 micro-allocations for
critical infrastructure,    which exactly describes the nature of an anycasted
/24  for  the service IP of a shared open DNS recursive resolver service,
and the RIR could potentially allocate from any block under their control that
were deemed most suitable for the critical infrastructure.

Then again,  maybe APNIC made a consultation at their February meeting
in Nepal?
One thing i'm sure is they wouldn't have to ask NANOG's permission.

$ whois 1.1.1.1
% [whois.apnic.net]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

% Information related to '1.1.1.0 - 1.1.1.255'
% Abuse contact for '1.1.1.0 - 1.1.1.255' is 'abuse at apnic.net'

inetnum:        1.1.1.0 - 1.1.1.255
netname:        APNIC-LABS
descr:          APNIC and Cloudflare DNS Resolver project
descr:          Routed globally by AS13335/Cloudflare
descr:          Research prefix for APNIC Labs
country:        AU
org:            ORG-ARAD1-AP
admin-c:        AR302-AP
tech-c:         AR302-AP
mnt-by:         APNIC-HM
mnt-routes:     MAINT-AU-APNIC-GM85-AP
mnt-irt:        IRT-APNICRANDNET-AU
status:         ASSIGNED PORTABLE
remarks:        All Cloudflare abuse reporting can be done via
remarks:        resolver-abuse at cloudflare.com
last-modified:  2018-03-30T01:51:28Z
source:         APNIC

-JH