Google DNS64 misconfigured?

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Thu Sep 28 03:18:37 UTC 2017

On Wed 2017-Sep-27 00:00:56 -0500, Joel Whitehouse <code at joelwhitehouse.com> wrote:

>I had an ipv6-only lab environment cease being able to browse much of
>the internet on Monday.  Tracked the issue down to google's public
>DNS64 service; the following queries should return DNS64 responses
>from the 64:9bff::/96 prefix, however, I'm getting 0 DNS64 answers
>from dig on both their servers for the last 60 hours:
>
>dig @2001:4860:4860::64 ipv4only.arpa AAAA
>dig @2001:4860:4860::6464 ipv4only.arpa AAAA
>
>DNS works fine, just not DNS64.  A forum topic [0] suggests this
>behavior might be intermittent but no official response from google
>there.  Is google's public DNS64 down for anyone else?

I do not regularly use their public DNS64, but those queries also return no
ANSWER for me from a couple of test points when I just checked now.  One is
on Teksavvy (AS20375) crossing through Peer1 (AS13768), the other crosses
directly through peering with Google at the SIX.

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal