Hurricane Maria: Summary of communication status - and lack of

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Wed Sep 27 22:25:00 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-27 17:44, Sean Donelan wrote:

> After a week without power, all the stationary batteries throughout the
> telecommunications network are likely completely drained.

from the point of view of cell sites, wouldn't battery autonomy be
measured in hours rather than days?  I could see some site having
autonomy in days due to permanent generator, and when fuel runs out so
does the cell site.

> I'm not ignoring the status competitive and smaller USVI and PR
> communication providers, its just difficult to find official statements
> from them.  If you have status about them, let me know.

One aspect often forgotten is that people have homes (or what is left of
them) families and the need to find food/water which can involve
standing in line for hours in a day and they may not be able to show up
for work. larger companies can usually find enough employees not so
hindered, but smaller outfits may not be able to remain functional due
to not enough staff able to work.

Smaller outfits may not have the ability to get petrol for their trucks
to go out oand fix things. (whereas the big guys have the credentials to
get petrol form authorities/army.