DHCPv6-PD -> Lack of route injection in RFC

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Fri Sep 22 16:37:14 UTC 2017

On 9/22/17, 3:12 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Steve Teusch"
<nanog-bounces+lee=asgard.org at nanog.org on behalf of
steve.teusch at rtr.guru> wrote:

>I am running into venders that do not support injection of a delegated
>route when operating as a DHCPv6 relay (or server for that matter).
>Brocade supports this, but I am not finding this as part of any of the
>RFC's.  This is to deliver home ISP service, so it is very important or
>return packets won't go to the client unless the route is manually added
>as a routing protocol is not an option.  There should be a MUST activity
>for this somewhere.
>
>Anyone know what gives?

Well, it’s weird for a DHCPv6 relay process to inspect relayed Reply
messages and use them to update the routing table. Weird, but I’ve done it.
What origin type do you use for that route?  Static, really?

This behavior was requested by operators who needed it; I don’t remember
whether we even went to the IETF with it. I think descriptions exist in
CableLabs IPv6 docs; maybe in BBF docs, too.

Any vendor who doesn’t do it is in the process of shutting down their ISP
access router business.

Lee