Hurricane Maria: Dominica partial communications restored

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Thu Sep 21 01:45:53 UTC 2017

> On Sep 20, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
>
> Some ham radio operators have been verified as operating from Dominica. Its an unfortunate, but necessary thing that needs to be verified during disaster communications.

I'm not clear what you're getting at here.  Are you saying people are faking operating from the islands?  That seems unlikely.  Basic RDF is going to tell you in short order where they are transmitting from.   And for the smaller islands, the local operators are well known in the region, so it seems unlikely someone would be able to set up shop in, say, Tennessee and claim to be a new ham who just moved to Anguilla last week.

--lyndon