IPv6 migration steps for mid-scale isp

Ahad Aboss ahad at swiftelnetworks.com
Sun Sep 17 08:14:10 UTC 2017

Hi Fredrik,

Running two different IGPs for IPv4 and IPv6 is a recipe for disaster even
if it’s a short-term goal.

Here are a few things to consider;

OSPF is good for small ISPs with small routing tables (10 to 15K routes).
It will support more routes but configuration of your network becomes more
complex hence an increase in human error (network engineers)

EIGRP is more suitable for mid-size say 50K subscriber base but you are
really stretching your luck if you go beyond the 50K subscriber base.

EIGRP is more susceptible to flap when adding a new device with an MTU
mis-match etc. You can google up some stories about EIGRP flap issues….

My recommendation is to use iBGP for both IPv4/IPv6, you can use OSPF or
EIGRP for link layer connectivity and iBGP to carry the traffic.

I prefer OSPF over EIGRP because of its equal cost load balancing if you
have multiple interfaces from PE devices to your core.

iBGP is scalable, you can introduce router reflectors to avoid full mesh
peering between PE routers – and the sky if your limit!

Hope this helps

Thanks

Ahad