IPv6 migration steps for mid-scale isp

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Sep 18 17:58:38 UTC 2017

Fully agree, 464XLAT is the way to go.

We have tested this in many IPv6-only access deployments, non-cellular networks (cellular is well tested by T-Mobile and others, that have got it in production for years).

We always have the issue of the CPEs support, but this is the same problem if you want to go to lw4o6, MAP, etc. In general, newer transition mechanisms, aren’t well supported.

So, you either use OpenWRT if you can re-flash the CPEs, or you push your vendors to make sure they provide a firmware upgrade.

This is the reason I started to work on an update of the RFC7084 (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc7084-bis/ and https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-palet-v6ops-rfc7084-bis-transition/) and see also the related discussion in v6ops.

Also, I run a panel with CPE vendors in the last week APNIC meeting, and the interesting thing is that they confirmed there is no any technical issue to support those (hardware is ok), and they have already developed it, just waiting for customers to ask for it.

https://conference.apnic.net/44/program/schedule/#/day/6/bof-discussion-with-ipv6-ce-vendors

I will compile a report out of this panel ASAP.

So please, keep pushing your vendors for it!

Regards,
Jordi