IOS new versions and network load

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Sep 18 16:19:14 UTC 2017

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 11:57 AM, Marco Slater <marco at marcoslater.com> wrote:
>
>> While we don’t use Apple's caching servers we do have transparent caching in place which nets us about 82% of their content being serverd locally. On a big IOS update it will probably be close to 99% for that one title.
>
> Would you be open to elaborating a bit on how that’s set up on your network? :)

I used to run a transparent cache that redirected tcp/80 traffic to a squid instance that was configured to hold the objects for an extended period of time and ignore the do-not-cache type options sent from the CDNs.

A quick search in your favorite AltaVista location returns URLs like this:

https://lkrms.org/caching-ios-updates-on-a-squid-proxy-server/

- Jared