IPv6 migration steps for mid-scale isp

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Sep 16 08:56:28 UTC 2017

> Thank you all for your Ideas. AFAIK one of the main decisions for IPv6
> transition and deployment is the choice of IPv6 IGP. I read somewhere
> that its a good practice to use different IGP protocol for IPv6 and
> IPv4. For example if IGP for IPv4 is IS-IS then use OSPFv3 for IPv6.
> any comments on this?

I've never heard this promoted as good practice - why on earth would
you want to make life more difficult for yourself by running two IGPs
if you can run one?

Yes, if you use OSPF for IPv4 you *have* to use something else for
IPv6. But if you already run IS-IS there is no reason to change, just
remember to enable multi-topology.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no