Reliability of looking glass sites / rviews

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:52:22 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:

> Both should have been similar.
>
> In the first case we lost power to all of our BGP border routers that are
> peered with the upstream providers
> In the second case, I did an explicit “shut” on the interface connected to
> the upstream provider that appeared “stuck” after an hour after the outage.

oh, I had thought when you broke the second time intentionally you might
have shut the bgp session (and then maybe the interface too) ... causing a
different semantic for the withdrawals in the isp network.

it's possible that if the load of updates was large enough for the ISP(s)
in question that things simply took a long while to process. In a recent
similar situation we'd observed updates/convergence taking upwards of 30
minutes  to trickle through the global system :(