Hurricane Irma: Florida, Puerto Rico and U.S. VI

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Sep 13 04:38:50 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Sean Donelan wrote:
> A couple of folks asked about commercial colocation and data centers...
>
> There are about 100 major colocation and datacenters in Florida and southern
> Georgia.  I've check the usual suspects, and none have posted outages.
> Directv and Dishtv "local-in-local" TV stations appear to be uninterrupted,
> which indicates the major fiber hubs they use for TV signal aggregation are
> working in the local areas.
>
> I can't tell how many data centers are on backup generators.

Just to clarify, since several people wanted corrections.  There is
substantial outside plant damage in Florida, and many local loop circuits
are out of service.  I was only referring to data services inside major
colocation and data centers, not in offices and other locations.

One person did report they had servers reboot in a Florida colocation
facility during the hurricane, likely due to power distubances. The
power came back quickly, I assume an issue switching to backup generators
or a glitchy UPS.

Another person reported they lost connectivity to their systems in a
colocation facility for 24 hours. I'm still checking on that one.