2017 NANOG Elections General Information

Dave Temkin dave at temk.in
Tue Sep 12 22:53:28 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> >> On Sep 10, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Bryan Holloway <bryan at shout.net> wrote:
> >> I point specifically to the opening talk at Bellevue where there were
> wackily photoshop'd pictures of NANOG star heavy-hitters.
> >> Had I been a first-time attendee, I would've felt like a high-school
> freshman being told who all the "cool seniors" were.
> >> Frankly, it was awkward and off-putting.
> >
> > On Sep 11, 2017, at 12:32 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> > Probably a safe bet that it was mostly aspirant juniors.
>
> Patrick has pointed out to me that my offhand dismissiveness painted with
> an overly broad brush and encompassed people whom I undoubtedly do not
> think so little of.  So, my sincere apologies for my tone and
> speaking-out-of-turn about a slide deck that I hadn’t actually seen.  I do
> very much miss the “cool seniors” who worked so hard to make this what it
> was, twenty-five and thirty years ago; I owe them a lot.  I’m sure the
> people who are working hard to make the organization what it is today are
> serving a similar function for people who are entering the industry today.

Thanks Bill. That's definitely an accurate representation from my personal
vantage point. Personally in my role within the organization I've stressed
the importance of bringing the next Paul Vixie or Sean Doran into the
industry and fostering their growth and influence. To me that's where NANOG
can add the most value for the next 70 meetings.

> Nostalgia was causing me to conflate two things which are unrelated  The
> frat-boy thing is a problem, not only in NANOG, but in ARIN and RIPE.  I’d
> very much like to see it fixed, so that everyone can enjoy collegial
> support, rather than just a subset of participants.

Totally agree here. I'd love to come up with more ideas on how to fix this
real issue; my personal diversity & inclusion bent is squarely aimed at
that problem.

-Dave