2017 NANOG Elections General Information

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Sep 12 17:15:23 UTC 2017

>> On Sep 10, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Bryan Holloway <bryan at shout.net> wrote:
>> I point specifically to the opening talk at Bellevue where there were wackily photoshop'd pictures of NANOG star heavy-hitters.
>> Had I been a first-time attendee, I would've felt like a high-school freshman being told who all the "cool seniors" were.
>> Frankly, it was awkward and off-putting.
>
> On Sep 11, 2017, at 12:32 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> Probably a safe bet that it was mostly aspirant juniors.

Patrick has pointed out to me that my offhand dismissiveness painted with an overly broad brush and encompassed people whom I undoubtedly do not think so little of.  So, my sincere apologies for my tone and speaking-out-of-turn about a slide deck that I hadn’t actually seen.  I do very much miss the “cool seniors” who worked so hard to make this what it was, twenty-five and thirty years ago; I owe them a lot.  I’m sure the people who are working hard to make the organization what it is today are serving a similar function for people who are entering the industry today.

Nostalgia was causing me to conflate two things which are unrelated  The frat-boy thing is a problem, not only in NANOG, but in ARIN and RIPE.  I’d very much like to see it fixed, so that everyone can enjoy collegial support, rather than just a subset of participants.

                                -Bill