2017 NANOG Elections General Information

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Sun Sep 10 20:59:19 UTC 2017

> This leads to a good point, and I think the point Randy was trying to make
> - the Board elections should not be a popularity contest, either in terms
> of who people like or who the best engineers are. It should *not* be
> focused on who has the most fun at the socials or the room parties.

+1 ... and ..

... if I may expand candidly on this, I'd like to see a little less of
an -- to use the term loosely -- "Old Boys Network" mentality at meetings.

I point specifically to the opening talk at Bellevue where there were
wackily photoshop'd pictures of NANOG star heavy-hitters.

I consider myself a relative newcomer to the community, and I find the
meetings invaluable, but I've been to enough of them to know who the
folks pictured were. Had I been a first-time attendee, I would've felt
like a high-school freshman being told who all the "cool seniors" were.

Frankly, it was awkward and off-putting.

Just my $0.02 worth.