Max Prefix Out, was Re: Verizon 701 Route leak?

Theodore Baschak theodore at ciscodude.net
Sun Sep 3 00:05:26 UTC 2017

> On Sep 2, 2017, at 12:41 PM, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:
>
> Coloclue (AS 8283):
>
>    For every peering partner, data is fetched from the PeeringDB API
>    and the fields visible here https://www.peeringdb.com/asn/2914 as
>    'IPv4 Prefixes' and 'IPv6 Prefixes' are used as input into the
>    router configuration process. Coloclue's formula is simple, if the
>    field's value is less than 100, set the limit to 100, if the value
>    is over 100: add 10% to whatever value was published. This process
>    is executed every 12 hours. In case no PDB record for the ASN
>    exists: set 10,000 for IPv4 / 1,000 for IPv6. A manual override
>    mechanism exists.
>
> If I compare the two: NTT's method emphasizes business continuity and
> has no external dependencies, Coloclue (being a network for
> experimentation) explores how to avoid explicit noc-to-noc coordination
> and relies on self-published data being kept up to date.

How has the Coloclue max-prefix method described worked out? This sounds
pretty effective for this type of network. How often has manual intervention
(beyond a pre-arranged manual override) been required?

Theodore Baschak - AS395089 - Hextet Systems
https://bgp.guru/ - https://hextet.net/
http://mbix.ca/ - http://mbnog.ca/