Moving fibre trunks: interruptions?

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 22:38:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 15:52:40 -0400, Rod Beck
<rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com> wrote:
> I don't think there is virtually any aerial in Europe. So given the cost
> difference why is virtually all fiber buried on this side of the
> Atlantic?

Aerial is simple and fast... pull the cable through a stringer, move to
the next pole and repeat; when a section (about a mile) is done, it's
hoisted into the air and tied to the pole. The stringers are then moved to
the next mile of poles and the process repeats.

Buried stuff requires a great deal of planning, permitting, and insurance.
You have to know everything that's ever been stuffed in the ground within
half a mile of where you're working to avoid the inevitable cutting of
something important -- gas, water, sewer, power, other telcom, even vacuum
tube lines and subways. And then you need trenching gear to get stuff in
the ground, and crews to come along behind to remediate the "environmental
damage".

(Once the conduit is in the ground, it's a trivial matter to blow whatever
you need through it.)