4 or smaller digit ASNs

Brett Watson brett at the-watsons.org
Fri Oct 13 04:28:45 UTC 2017

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 15:53, Richard Hicks <richard.hicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone know the history behind ASN 2906 (Netflix)?
> How did they get a number that low?

I didn’t recognize as2906 so went digging... and I can’t find a thing. ARIN has a “who has” service but my account on ARIN was locked and I wasn’t able to unlock without calling them (maybe tomorrow).

The AS-Name is “AS-SSI” (there is an AS-Set listed on RIPE named this) which I suspect might lead to the original owner. It looks familiar-ish but I’m not sure who had it before Netflix. Clearly they must have bought it outright, acquired the original owner, or something, but I’ll be damned if I can find historical data on who it originally belonged to.

-b