4 or smaller digit ASNs

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Oct 12 05:47:30 UTC 2017

James,

As far as I know, you can't buy an existing ASN for any amount of money. You can buy the company that owns it, but that seems like boiling tea with a blowtorch.

I sincerely doubt there are unused low-number ASNs, but you could always ask ARIN.

I'm curious what your client's rationale is for wanting a low ASN. It can't be efficiency, since the numbers all take the same number of bits ultimately. If they just like small numbers, I'd advise them to forget it -- life is too short. If they have a real technical reason that nobody has foreseen (or at least I haven't foreseen), I'd love to hear it.

 -mel beckman