Temp at Level 3 data centers

Ken Chase math at sizone.org
Wed Oct 11 15:53:24 UTC 2017

My house isnt built for moving furniture, it's built for living in. I've not
moved a bed in or out of the bedroom in 8 years now. But for the 15 minutes
I did move a bed, the door and hallway had to accomodate it.

Humans have to go into datacenters - often in an emergency. Complicating the
servicing of equipment by having sweat drip off you into the electronics is
not condusive to uptime.

/kc

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 03:45:30PM +0000, Keith Stokes said:
  >There are plenty of people who say 80+ is fine for equipment and data centers aren???t built for people.
  >
  >However other things have to be done correctly.
  >
  >Are you sure your equipment is properly oriented for airflow (hot/cold aisles if in use) and has no restrictions?
  >
  >On Oct 11, 2017, at 9:42 AM, Sam Kretchmer <sam at coeosolutions.com<mailto:sam at coeosolutions.com>> wrote:
  >
  >with a former employer we had a suite at the L3 facility on Canal in
  >Chicago. They had this exact issue for the entire time we had the suite.
  >They kept blaming a failing HVAC unit on our floor, but it went on for
  >years no matter who we complained to, or what we said.
  >
  >Good luck.
  >

  >On 10/11/17, 7:31 AM, "NANOG on behalf of David Hubbard"
  ><nanog-bounces at nanog.org<mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org> on behalf of dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com<mailto:dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com>> wrote:
  >
  >Curious if anyone on here colo??s equipment at a Level 3 facility and has
  >found the temperature unacceptably warm?  I??m having that experience
  >currently, where ambient temp is in the 80??s, but they tell me that??s
  >perfectly fine because vented tiles have been placed in front of all
  >equipment racks.  My equipment is alarming for high temps, so obviously
  >not fine.  Trying to find my way up to whomever I can complain to that??s
  >in a position to do something about it but it seems the support staff
  >have been told to brush questions about temp off as much as possible.
  >Was wondering if this is a country-wide thing for them or unique to the
  >data center I have equipment in.  I have equipment in several others from
  >different companies and most are probably 15-20 degrees cooler.
  >
  >Thanks,
  >
  >David
  >

  >---
  >
  >Keith Stokes