Hurricane Maria: Summary of communication status - and lack of

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sat Oct 7 01:55:46 UTC 2017

I have not ound the official announcements, but the press is reporting
that the FCC has granted Google rights to fly 30 of its "Loon" high
altitude ballons to provide cellular cervice in Puerto Rico for up to 6
months.

(From my readings, there are glorified relays of ground based signals
(which I assume some antennas have to be oriented to face up towards the
balloons).

The Loon will use spectrum allocated to the carriers they relay (and got
their OK)

Altitude 20km. (so not sure they need 30 balloons, 1 probably suffices
to cover all of PR).

I suspect more concrete info will be coming.