Anyone from AT&T DNS?

Jay Farrell jayfar at jayfar.com
Thu Oct 5 08:12:30 UTC 2017

Yep, the notation with the slash used to be ATT's standard method. At my
job (where we had some customers with ATT MIS T1 circuits) we transitioned
to a web front end for our DNS that didn't allow for the slash, so we had
to nudge ATT to allow us to use a dash notation instead for delegations.

As far as to what can appear in a DNS entry, you'd be amazed. I encountered
a PTR record containing a full URL, http:// and everything; it didn't
actually work of course, but bind allowed it to exist. When I tracked down
the cow-orker who had entered it, he said he knew it wasn't valid, but he
did it that way when the customer insisted it had to be thus. :-D