Anyone from AT&T DNS?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 03:08:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Matt Peterman <mpeterman at apple.com> wrote:

> The correct format is as shown below (this is from another /25 I have from
> AT&T that has DNS setup correctly)
>
> $ dig +short CNAME 1.120.232.108.in-addr.arpa
> 1.0.120.232.108.in-addr.arpa.

there are more than 1 way to skin the cat, sadly.
This tripped me up on a customer connection for a while as well, the RFC
example I provided earlier is also valid.

> So for the block I am having an issue with the CNAME records should be
> For 107.207.168.128 should be 128.128.168.207.107.in-addr.arpa (it
> shouldn't have “/25” in the middle of it - you can’t even have “/“ in a DNS
> entry AFAIK)

according to the rfc you can.

> If I do another address from my block I get $ dig +short CNAME
> 191.168.207.107.in-addr.arpa
> 191.128/25.168.207.107.in-addr.arpa.
>
> Again that would should be 191.128.168.207.107in-addr.arpa.
>
> Somehow AT&T DNS got the “/25” prefix length in all of the  DNS entries…

nope, they are just following the rfc provided path for this.
yes it looks screwy, yes it also works fine.