Anyone from AT&T DNS?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:53:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 10:43 PM, Matt Peterman <mpeterman at apple.com> wrote:

> The PTR record CNAMEs for my /25 allocated prefix are all messed up. They
> are returning as
> $ dig +short CNAME 128.168.207.107.in-addr.arpa
> 128.128/25.168.207.107.in-addr.arpa.
>
> Which is obviously a completely invalid DNS entry. I have opened a ticket
> through the web portal for “prov-dns” but Haven’t gotten a response for 7
> days.
>
> If anyone from AT&T DNS or knows anyone from AT&T DNS that can help it
> would be appreciated!

isn't this one of the proper forms of reverse delegation in CIDR land?

like:
http://support.simpledns.com/kb/a146/how-to-sub-delegate-a-reverse-zone.aspx

describes, or in a (perhaps more wordy fashion) in RFC2317?
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2317

I think it may be the case that the NS hosts are not prepared for such a
domain/record mapping though... the nameservers that would need to to be
authoritative for a zone like:

128/25.168.207.107.in-addr.arpa.

and have a bunch of PTR records like:

128             IN PTR foo.you.com.