Question about Customer Population by ASN for Canada

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Oct 2 22:38:20 UTC 2017

> On 3 Oct 2017, at 7:17 am, Eric Dugas <edugas at unknowndevice.ca> wrote:
>
> For some reason my previous email was empty.
>
> What I wrote:
>
> "Some of these numbers are largely inflated...
>
> e.g. Teksavvy at 937,855 estimated users. How can they have 937,855 users
> if they "only" have 686,848 IPv4 (https://bgp.he.net/AS5645)?
>
> Also, Allstream/Zayo AS15290 has a lot of IPs but it's mostly corps/govs.
> So it's a mix of inflated and false positives.

I wish there was better public data we could use here to generate these numbers.

But there is a dearth of such numbers that are vaguely current relatively inclusive
and not completely stupid.

So we use the ad placement mechanism as an indirect pointer to user count. Its very rough,
and at best one can say that there are large, medium and small eyeball networks, and
to a first order the algorithm appears to identify networks into these three categories.

I am not trying to tie in address density here - I’m not even sure that would be wise
because, as you well know, NATs hide all kinds of sins and virtues.

Geoff